Blood pressure lowering drugs are linked to stroke
(Click on: Display in a new window)
Suggest to your health care provider you'd rather try natural methods shown to work that have no dangerous side effects, e.g. the ones listed below.
YOUR DOCTOR MAY BE RAISING YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE
TAKE YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE YOURSELF FOR SEVERAL DAYS FOR THREE OR FOUR TIMES A DAY, OR TAKE AT A PHARMACY AND COMPARE WHAT YOU GET TO ENSURE YOU REALLY HAVE HYPERTENSION.
MEDITATION TO LOWER HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE
Transcendental Meditation (TM) is an effective treatment for controlling high blood pressure with the added benefit of bypassing possible side effects and hazards of anti-hypertension drugs, according to a new meta-analysis conducted at the University of Kentucky.
The meta-analysis evaluated nine randomized, controlled trials using TM as a primary intervention for hypertensive patients. Transcendental Meditation was associated with approximate reductions of 4.7 mm systolic blood pressure and 3.2 mm diastolic blood pressure.
The study's lead author, Dr. James W. Anderson, professor of medicine at the University of Kentucky College of Medicine, said that blood pressure reductions of this magnitude would be expected to be accompanied by significant reductions in risk for atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease—without drug side effects.
These findings reinforce an earlier study that found TM produces a statistically significant reduction in high blood pressure that was not found with other forms of relaxation, meditation, biofeedback or stress management.
According to Dr. Anderson, adding Transcendental Medication is about equivalent to adding a second antihypertension agent to one's current regimen only safer and less troublesome.
Note: Having high blood pressure increases your chances of developing heart disease, stroke, congestive heart failure and kidney disease.
Based on these findings, you might want to try TM.
University of Kentucky (2008, March 15). Meditation Can Lower Blood Pressure, Study Shows. ScienceDaily. Retrieved March 23, 2008, from http://www.sciencedaily.com /releases/2008/03/080314130430.htm
TIPS ON TRYING MEDITATION
You can sit in a lotus position and say "Om" or you can try one of the following as you go through your day:
1. Say or think, "one" when you inhale and "two" when you exhale.
2. Say or think, left, right as you walk along.
3. Say or think: "I joyously release the past" or "I breathe in positive thoughts and breathe out a smile."
LOSE WEIGHT/EAT RIGHT
REMEMBER: Each pound you are overweight puts PRESSURE on all your vital orgins and joints.
Some weight loss tips:
1. Eat in an 8-hour window only. I use 8 to 4 pm because it works for my digestion and exercise patterns.
2. Eat your main meal at noon and avoid fast foods, sweet foods and drinks, grains, meats, and cheese. Build your meals around beans (non GMO soy, black, pinto, etc.), organic vegetables and salads and one cup of fresh or frozen fruit and a handful of unsalted, non-oiled nuts a day. Organic low fat or nonfat yogurt will help you digest your food and provide needed protein and calcium. Eat at least 3 cups of vegetables a day and a big salad of greens with coconut* oil and cider vinegar dressing. drink 8-10 glasses of distilled or reverse osmosis filtered water; spring waters or waters you buy are often tap water. If you can't get these foods at work, bring them with you. Health food stores often serve nourishing soups and salads and you can ask for beans or yogurt.